The Inland Vessels Act, 2021
5. Administrative role of Central Government and State Governments.-
(1) The Central Government may, by general or special order, direct that any power, authority or jurisdiction exercisable by it under, or in relation to any such provision of this Act, or the rules made thereunder, or as may be specified in the order allocating the duties, shall, subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be so specified, also be exercisable by the competent authority or by such other officer as may be specified in that order.
(2) On and from the date of issue of notifications or rules made by the Central Government under the provisions of this Act, the provisions shall,-
(a) uniformly apply in whole or in any part of India, as may be specified therein; and
(b) prevail over such notifications or rules, as the case may be, issued or made by the State Governments.
(3) The State Governments may, by notification, appoint one or more designated authorities within their respective jurisdiction for the purposes of exercising or discharging the powers, authority or duties conferred, by or under this Act and the rules made thereunder.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) and section 6, the existing administrative authorities constituted under State Governments or Union territory Administrations may continue to be the designated authorities for the purposes of sub-section (3).
(5) The State Government may, for the purposes of implementing the various provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder, by general or special order, direct that any power or authority conferred under this Act, subject to such conditions and restrictions as it may think fit, be exercised or discharged by the respective designated authorities or any officer or any other organisation or body.
(6) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the State Government shall have the power to make rules and shall exercise the powers conferred on it, as provided by or under this Act.
(7) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Act, for the purposes of administration of the non-mechanically propelled inland vessels, as specified in Chapter XVII, the Central Government shall have no powers of administration and shall only provide assistance to the respective State Government, on receipt of official request from such State Government.