The Inland Vessels Act, 2021
14. Mechanically propelled inland vessels not to proceed without certificate of survey, and requirement of Zone to be specified in such certificate.-
(1) No mechanically propelled inland vessel shall be used nor proceed on voyage, without a valid certificate of survey that shall provide or indicate among others, the Zone intended for operation or applicable voyage or service of such vessel.
(2) The certificate of survey shall have effect throughout India, unless otherwise specified therein and subject to such other conditions as may be specified by the competent authority.
(3) The certificate of survey shall be valid for such period as may be specified by notification by the Central Government and shall not be in force-
(a) after the expiration of the period specified in the certificate of survey; or
(b) after notice has been issued to cancel or suspend such certificate.
(4) Nothing in this section shall prevent the State Government from excluding a mechanically propelled inland vessel from the requirement under sub-section (1), on an application made by the owner or master of the vessel for permission to proceed on a voyage; during the interval between the date on which the certificate of survey expires and the earliest possible date of renewal.
(5) After cessation of a certificate of survey, a valid certificate of survey shall be obtained only after a fresh survey of the mechanically propelled inland vessel has been conducted by any surveyor appointed under this Act.