6. Information on containers and labels of infant milk substitutes or infant foods.-
(1) Without prejudice to the provisions of the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954 (37 of 1954) and the rules made thereunder, no person shall produce, supply or distribute any infant milk substitute or infant food unless every container thereof or any label affixed thereto indicates in a clear, conspicuous and in an easily readable and understandable manner, the words "important notice" in capital letters in such language as may be prescribed and indicating thereunder the following particulars in the same language, namely:-
(a) a statement "mother's milk is best for your baby" in capital letters;
(b) a statement that infant milk substitute or infant food should be used only on the advice of a health worker as to the need for its use and the proper method of its use;
(c) a warning that infant milk substitute or infant food is not the sole source of nourishment of an infant;
(d) the instructions for its appropriate preparation and a warning against the health hazards of its inappropriate preparation;
(e) the ingredients used;
(f) the composition or analysis;
(g) the storage conditions required;
(h) the batch number, date of its manufacture and the date before which it is to be consumed, taking into account the climatic and storage conditions of the country;
(i) such other particulars as may be prescribed.
(2) No container or label referred to in sub-section (1) relating to 1[infant milk substitute or infant food] shall-
(a) have pictures of an infant or a woman or both; or
(b) have pictures or other graphic material or phrases designed to increase the saleability of 1[infant milk substitute or infant food]; or
(c) use on it the word "humanised" or "maternalised" or any other similar word; or
(d) bear on it such other particulars as may be prescribed.
1. Subs. by Act 38 of 2003, s. 3, for "or feeding bottles" (w.e.f. 1-11-2003).
2. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "infant milk substitutes is" (w.e.f. 1-11-2003).
3. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for clause (c) (w.e.f. 1-11-2003).
4. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for "feeding bottles" (w.e.f. 1-11-2003).
5. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for "feeding bottles" (w.e.f. 1-11-2003).