1. Short title, extent and application.
(1) This Act may be called the Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946.
(2) It extends to 2[the whole of India 3* * *].
4[(3) It applies to every industrial establishment wherein one hundred or more workmen are employed, or were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months:
Provided that the appropriate Government may, after giving not less than two months' notice of its intention so to do, by notification in the Official Gazette, apply the provisions of this Act to any industrial establishment employing such number of persons less than one hundred as may be specified in the notification.
6[(4) Nothing in this Act shall apply to
(i) any industry to which the provisions of Chapter VII of the Bombay Industrial Relations Act, 1946 (Bombay Act 11 of 1947) apply; or
(ii) any industrial establishment to which the provisions of the Madhya Pradesh Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1961 (Madhya Pradesh Act 26 of 1961) apply:
Provided that notwithstanding anything contained in the Madhya Pradesh Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1961 (Madhya Pradesh Act 26 of 1961), the provisions of this Act shall apply to all industrial establishments under the control of the Central Government.]
1. This Act has been extended to
(i) Goa, Daman and Diu by Reg. 12 of 1962, s. 3 and the Sch.
(ii) Pondicherry by Regulation 7 of 1963, s. 3 and the Sch. I (w.e.f. 1-10-1963), and
(iii) the whole of the Union territory of Lakshadweep, vide Reg. 8 of 1965, s. 3 and the Sch. The Act has been amended in its application to
(i) Maharashtra by Maharashtra Act 54 of 1974.
(ii) Mysore by Mysore Act 37 of 1975.
(iii) Madras by Madras Act 24 of 1960, and
(iv) Andhra Pradesh by A. P. Act 9 of 1969.
2. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "all the Provinces of India".
3. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 51 of 1970, s. 2 (w.e.f. 1-9-1971).
4. Subs. by Act 16 of 1961, s. 2, for sub-section (3).
5. Second proviso omitted by Act 39 of 1963, s. 2 (w.e.f. 23-12-1963).
6. Ins. by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 23-12-1963).