4. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor.-
(1) Every Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Executive Council on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor: Provided that where the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor is not accepted by the Executive Council, the matter shall be referred to the Visitor who may either appoint the person recommended by the Vice-Chancellor or ask the Vice-Chancellor to recommend another person to the Executive Council: Provided further that the Executive Council may, on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor, appoint a Professor to discharge the duties of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor in addition to his own duties as a Professor.
(2) The term of office of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be such as may be decided by the Executive Council but it shall not in any case exceed five years or until the expiration of the term of office of the Vice-Chancellor, whichever is earlier: Provided that a Pro-Vice-Chancellor whose term of office has expired shall be eligible for reappointment: Provided further that, in any case, a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall retire on attaining the age of sixty-five years: Provided also that the Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall, while discharging the duties of the Vice-Chancellor under clause (6) of Statute 2, continue in office notwithstanding the expiration of his term of office as Pro-Vice-Chancellor, until a new Vice-Chancellor or the existing Vice-Chancellor, as the case may be, assumes office: Provided also that when the office of the Vice-Chancellor becomes vacant and there is no Pro-Vice-Chancellor to perform the functions of the Vice-Chancellor, the Executive Council may appoint a Pro-Vice-Chancellor and the Pro-Vice-Chancellor so appointed, shall cease to hold office as such as soon as the Vice-Chancellor is appointed and enters upon his office.
(3) The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be such as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.
(4) A Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall assist the Vice-Chancellor in respect of such matters as may be specified by the Vice-Chancellor in this behalf, from time to time, and shall also exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be assigned or delegated to him by the Vice-Chancellor.