In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,—
(a) the expression "authorised followers means persons other than officers, soldiers or airmen, who are employed by, or are in the service of, the Forces or Corps concerned, or are in the service of any officer, soldier or airman of such Forces or Corps;
(b) "carriage means a vehicle for carriage or haulage other than one specially constructed for use on rails;
(c) "ferry includes every bridge and other thing which is a ferry within the meaning of any enactment authorising the levy of tolls on ferries, but does not include any ferry or other thing which is included in the definition of "railway in section 3 of the Indian Railways Act, 1890 (9 of 1890) ;
8[(d) the expression "the regular forces means "the regular Army as defined in clause (xxi) of section 3 of the Army Act, 1950 (46 of 1950), and includes the "Air Force as defined in clause (iv) of section 4 of the Air Force Act, 1950 (45 of 1950);]
(e) "horse includes a mule and any beast of whatever description which is used for burden or draught or for carrying persons;
(f) the expression "Irregular Corps< means any force (other than 9[the Regular Forces or 10[the Territorial Army or the National Cadet Corps]) raised and maintained in India under the authority of the Central Government, 11 *** or any other force which may be notified in this behalf by order published in the Official Gazette;
(g) the expression "Indian Reserve Forces means the forces constituted by the Indian Reserve Forces Act, 1888 (5 of 1888) and includes officers belonging to the Army in India Reserve of Officers or to the 1 [Regular Reserve of Officers] and members of 2 *** the Indian Air Force Volunteer Reserve when subject to military or air force law, as the case may be;
(h) "landing-place includes a pier, wharf, quay jetty and a stage whether fixed or floating;
(i) "public authority , means the Central Government 3*** or a State Government or a local authority; and, so far as regards tolls levied by a railway company under section 4 of the Indian Guaranteed Railways Act, 1879 (42 and 43 Vict. C. 41), or section 51 of the Indian Railways Act, 1890 (9 of 1890), includes such a railway company; and
(j) "tolls includes duties, dues, rates, rents, fees and charges, but does not include customs duties levied under the Indian Tariff Act, 1934 (32 of 1934), octroi duties or town duties on the import of goods, or fares paid for the conveyance of passengers on a tramway.]
1. The Act has been extended to
(1) Berar by the Berar Laws Act 1941 (4 of 1941).
(2) Dadra and Nagar Haveli (w. e. f. 1 -7 -1965) by Reg. 6 of 1963, s. 2 and the First Schedule.(3) Pondicherry on 1-10-1963, vid e.,Reg. 7 of 1963. s. 3 and the First Schedule.
(4) Lakshadweep (w.e.f. 1-10-1967): vide. Reg. 8 of 1965. s. 3 and the First Schedule. 2 . Added b y Act 10 o f 1927, s. 2 and th e First Schedule.
3. Preamble o mitted b y the A. O . 1950 .
4. Subs. by Act 14 of 1942, s. 2, for "(Army).
5. Subs. by the A. O. 1950 for sub -section (2 ).
6 . Th e word s "except Part B States omitted b y Act 3 o f 1951 . s. 3 and th e Schedule.
7. Subs. by Act 14 of 1942, s. 3, for section 2.
8. Subs. b y Act 3 o f 1951, s. 3 and th e First Schedule, fo r clau se (d ) .
9. Ins. b y the A. O. 1950 .
10. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "the Auxiliary Force (India) or the Indian Territorial Force.
11 . The words "or of the Crown Representative omitted by the A. O. 1948