In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
4[(a) "Court" means a Court other than a Criminal Court and includes any such tribunal or other authority as may be specified by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette being a tribunal or authority which is empowered by law to receive evidence on any matter pending before it and on the basis of such evidence to determine, after hearing the parties before it, the rights and obligations of the parties in relation to such matter;]
(b) "Indian soldier" means any person subject to 5[the Army Act, 1950 (46 of 1950), or the Air Force Act, 1950 (45 of 1950)] 6[, or the Navy Act, 1957 (62 of 1957)];
(c) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act; and (d) "proceeding" includes any suit, appeal or application;
6[(e) any reference to a decree or order of a Court shall be deemed to include a reference to a judgment, determination or award of a Court.]
1. The Act has been extended to,-
(3) Whole of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep and
(4) Union Territory of Goa, Daman & Diu.
2. Subs. by A.O. 1950 for sub-section (2).
3. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 62 of 1956, s. 2 and the Schedule (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
4. Subs. by Act 23 of 1970, s. 2, for cl. (a) (w.e.f. 29-5-1970).
5. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule., for certain words.
6. Ins. by Act 23 of 1970, s. 2. (w.e.f. 29-5-1970).
7. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for certain words.
8. Ins. by Act 23 of 1970, s. 3.