6. Term of office and casual vacancies.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, an elected or nominated member, other than a nominated President, shall hold office for a term of five years from the date of his election or nomination or until his successor has been duly elected or nominated, whichever is longer.
(2) An elected or nominated member may at any time resign his membership by writing under his hand addressed to the President, and the seat of such member shall thereupon become vacant.
(3) An elected or nominated member shall be deemed to have vacated his seat if he is absent without excuse sufficient in the opinion of the Council from three consecutive meetings of the Council where the interval between the first and third of the said meetings exceeds six months.
(4) A casual vacancy in the Council shall be filled by fresh election or nomination, as the case may be and the person elected or nominated to fill the vacancy shall hold office only for the remainder of the term for which the member whose place he takes was elected or nominated.
(5) Members of the Council shall be eligible for re-election or re-nomination.