10. Recognition of qualifications.
(1) For the purposes of this Act, the qualifications included in1[Part I of] the Schedule shall be recognised qualifications, and the qualifications included in Part II of the Schedule shall be recognised higher qualifications.
(2) Any authority within the 2[States] 3*** which, being recognised by the 4[State] Government 1[in consultation with the State Council, if any,] for the purpose of granting any qualification, grants a qualification in general nursing, midwifery, 1[auxiliary nursing-midwifery] health visiting or public health nursing, not included in the Schedule may apply to the Council to have such qualification recognised, and the Council may declare that such qualification, or such qualification only when granted after a specified date shall be a recognised qualification for the purposes of this Act.
(3) The Council may enter into negotiations with any authority 5[in any 6[territory of India to which this Act does not extend] or foreign country] 3[***] which by the law of 7[such territory] or country is entrusted with the maintenance of a register of nurses midwives or health visitors; for the settling of a scheme of reciprocity for the recognition of qualifications, and in pursuance of any such scheme the
1. Ins. by Act 45 of 1957, s. 6 (w.e. f. 1-12- 1958).
2. Subs. by A.O.1950, for "Provinces".
3. The words "of India" omitted by, ibid.
4. Subs. by A.O. 1950, for "Provincial".
5. Subs. by Act 75 of 1950, s. 2, "in any State or country outside the States" (w.e.f. 28-12-1950).
6. Subs. by A.O.(No. 3),1956 for "Part B Slates" (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
7. Subs. ibid., for "such State" (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
Council may declare that a qualification granted by any authority in any 1[such territory] or country, or such qualification, only when granted after a specified date, shall be a recognised qualification for the purposes of this Act:
Provided that no declaration shall be made under this sub-section in respect of any qualification unless by the law and practice 2[of the foreign country] in which the qualification is granted persons domiciled or originating 3 [in India] 4 *** and holding qualifications recognised under this Act are permitted to enter and practice the nursing profession 5[in that country]:
Provided further that
(i) any reciprocal arrangements subsisting at the date of the commencement of this Act between a 6[State] Council and any authority outside India for the recognition of qualifications shall, unless the Council decides otherwise, continue in force, and
7[(ii) any qualification granted by an authority in a territory of India to which this Act did not extend at the date of its commencement and recognised on the said date by the State Council of a State to which this Act then extended, shall continue to be a recognised qualification for the purpose of registration in that State.]
(4) The provisions of sub-sections (2) and (3) and of sections 14 and 15 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the declaration by the Council of a qualification granted in respect of post-certificate nursing training as a recognised higher qualification.