3. Constitution and composition of the Council.-
(1) The Central Government shall cause to be constituted a Council consisting of the following members namely:-
(a) one member from each State other than a Union Territory, to be nominated by the Central Government in consultation with the State Government concerned;
(b) one member from each University, to be elected from amongst the members of the medical faculty of the University by members of the Senate of the University or in case the University has no senate, by members of the Court;
(c) one member from each State in which a State Medical Register is maintained, to be elected from amongst themselves by persons enrolled on such Register who possess the medical qualifications included in the First or the Second Schedule or in Part II of the Third Schedule;
(d) seven members to be elected from amongst themselves by persons enrolled on any of the State Medical Registers who possess the medical qualifications included in Part I of the Third Schedule;
(e) eight members to be nominated by the Central Government.
(2) The President and Vice-President of the Council shall be elected by the members of the Council from amongst themselves.
(3) No act done by the Council shall be questioned on the ground merely of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Council.
1. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 24 of 1964, s. 2 (w.e.f. 16-6-1964).
2. 1st November, 1958, vide notification No. S.O. 2254, dated 28th October, 1958, see Gazette of India, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
3. Clause (c) omitted by Act 24 of 1964, s. 3 (w.e.f. 16-6-1964).
*Subject to verification and confirmation by the administrative ministry.