42. Functions and duties of Council.-
(1) The Council shall work to coordinate the activities of all the Institutes.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Council shall perform the following functions, namely:-
(a) to advise on matters relating to the duration of the courses, the degrees and other academic distinctions to be conferred by the Institutes, admission standards and other academic matters;
(b) to lay down policy regarding cadres, methods of recruitment and conditions of service of employees, institution of scholarships and free-ships, levying of fees and other matters of common interest;
(c) to examine the development plans of each Institute and to approve such of them as are considered necessary and also to indicate broadly the financial implications of such approved plans;
(d) to examine the annual budget estimates of each Institute and to recommend to the Central Government the allocation of funds for that purpose;
(e) to recommend to the Central Government, the institution of scholarships including research and for the benefit of students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes of citizens;
(f) to recommend to the Central Government, proposals for establishment of new Institutes of Information Technology;
(g) to advise the Visitor, if so required, in respect of any function to be performed by him under this Act; and
(h) to perform such other functions as may be referred to it by the Central Government: Provided that nothing in this section shall derogate the powers and functions vested by law in the Board or Senate or other authorities of each Institute.
(3) The Chairperson of the Council shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Council and in his or her absence, any other member, chosen by the Members present from amongst themselves at the meeting, shall preside at the meeting.
(4) The Council shall meet once in every year and follow such procedure in its meetings as may be prescribed.