40. Council of Institutes.-
(1) In order that there may be better coordination between the Institutes, the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish, with effect from such date as may be specified in the notification, there shall be established for all the Institutes specified in column (5) of the Schedule, a central body to be called the Council.
(2) The Council shall consist of the following, namely:-
(i) the Minister of the Central Government in charge of technical education, who shall be the Chairperson of the Council, ex officio;
(ii) two members of Parliament of India (one member to be nominated by Speaker of Lok Sabha and one member to be nominated by Chairperson of Rajya Sabha), ex officio;
(iii) Secretary, Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education;
(iv) the Chairpersons of each of the Institutes, ex officio;
(v) the Directors of each of the Institutes, ex officio;
(vi) the Director-General, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, ex officio;
(vii) three persons to be nominated by the Central Government, one each to represent the Ministry concerned with Finance, Science and Technology and Information Technology;
(viii) three persons to be nominated by Visitor, who shall be persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of industry, academia, engineering, alumni and social sciences to be nominated by the Council from a panel comprised of two names recommended by each Institute;
(ix) one representative of University Grants Commission;
(x) one representative of All India Council of Technical Education; and
(xi) Chairperson, Central Board of Secondary Education.
(3) An officer of the Department of Higher Education, Government of India, concerned with technical education shall be nominated by that Government to act as the Secretary of the Council.
(4) The Council may, at its discretion, constitute a Standing Committee of the Indian Institute of Information Technology Council to assist the Council in discharge of its duties and responsibilities.
(5) The expenditure on the Council shall be met by the Central Government.