(1) The Director of a Institute shall be appointed by the Central Government from a panel of names recommended in order of merit by a search-cum-selection committee with prior approval of the Visitor.
(2) The search-cum-selection committee shall consist of the following, namely:-
(a) an eminent person to be nominated by the Minister in charge of Human Resource Development in the Government of India as Chairperson of the Committee;
(b) the Chairperson, Board of Governors of the concerned Indian Institutes of Information Technology-Member, ex officio;
(c) Secretary incharge of Higher Education in the Government of India-Member, ex officio;
(d) Director of a 1[Indian Institute of Technology] to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development-Member, ex officio;
(e) a person of eminence in the field of information technology to be nominated by Minister incharge of Human Resource Development;
(f) Head of Bureau, Ministry of Human Resource Development dealing with Indian Institutes of Information Technology-non-member Secretary, ex officio.
(3) The Director shall be appointed on such terms and conditions of service as may be provided by the Statutes.
(4) The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for the implementation of the decisions of the Board and Senate and day-to-day administration of the Institute.
(5) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or delegated by the Board or the Senate or the Ordinances.
(6) The Director shall submit annual reports and audited accounts to the Board.
(7) The Director may during his absence from the headquarters, authorise the Deputy Director or one of the Deans or the senior most Professor present, to sanction advances for travelling allowances, contingencies and medical treatment of the staff and sign and countersign bills on his behalf and authorise to the Deputy Director or one of the Dean or the senior most Professor present, by him in writing.