40. Functions and duties of Co-ordination Forum.
(1) The Co-ordination Forum shall facilitate the sharing of experience, ideas and concerns with a view to enhancing the performance of all the Institutes.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Co-ordination Forum shall perform the following functions, namely:-
(a) advise the Central Government to include a new institution or exclude an existing institution from the Schedule;
(b) deliberate on such matters of common interest to Institutes as may be referred to it by any Institute;
(c) promote necessary co-ordination and co-operation in the working of the Institutes;
(d) recommend to the Central Government, the institution of scholarships including for research and for the benefit of students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and other socially and educationally backward classes of citizens; and
(e) perform such other functions as may be referred to it by the Central Government or any State Government:
Provided that nothing in this section shall derogate the powers and functions vested by law in the Board or Senate or other authorities of each Institute.
(3) The Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Co-ordination Forum and in the absence, the Secretary to the Government of India, in-charge of the Department of the Central Government having administrative control of technical education, shall preside at the meeting.
(4) The Co-ordination Forum shall meet at least once in every year, or as and when deemed necessary by the Chairperson of the Co-ordination Forum, and follow such procedure in its meetings, as may be prescribed.