5. Declaration of high denomination bank notes by banks and Government treasuries.
(1)Every bank and Government treasury shall prepare and send to the Reserve Bank in the manner provided in this section a return showing separately under each denominational value the total value of high denomination bank notes of that value held by it at the close of business on the 16th day of January, 1978 and distinctive numbers of high denomination bank notes of that value:
Provided that a bank or a Government treasury in which the currency chest of the Issue Department of the Reserve Bank has been established shall also submit a separate return showing separately under each denominational value the total value of high denomination bank notes held in such currency chest at the close of business on the 16th day of January, 1978 and the distinctive numbers of high denomination bank notes of that value.
(2) Every such return shall be prepared and presented as provided in sub-section (3) in triplicate and shall be signed by the Manager of the bank or other person in charge of the bank or the Government treasury.
(3) Every return under sub-section (1) shall be presented for forwarding to the Reserve Bank to the Manager of the sub-office, office or branch of the Reserve Bank at the places specified undersub-section (2) of section 7, or to the District Magistrate, or to the Sub-divisional Magistrate or, if such Manager or Magistrate is not available, to the senior-most Revenue or Police Officer available not later than 3.00 P.M. on the 17th day of January, 1978:
Provided that if it is not feasible to present the return to any such person as aforesaid, it may be presented by handing two copies thereof not later than 3.00 P.M. on the 17th day of January, 1978 to a telegraph office, one copy for despatch by express telegram to the Reserve Bank at Bombay at the expense of the bank or the Government treasury, as the case may be, and the other copy for return to the person presenting it in the manner provided in sub-section (4), and by despatching the third copy required by sub-section (2) by registered post on the same day to the Reserve Bank at Bombay.
(4) The officer to whom the return is presented shall give back to the person presenting it one copy thereof under his signature and seal of office in acknowledgement of receipt on which shall also be recorded the time and date of receipt, and such officer shall without delay forward one copy of the return to the Reserve Bank at Bombay.
(5) The Manager or other person in charge of every bank or Government treasury shall, immediately after the preparation of the returns required to be submitted under this section, cause the high denomination bank notes mentioned therein to be kept in a separate receptacle and seal the same with his seal and of the officers having custody of such receptacle.