16. powers and duties of the Vice-Chancellor.
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the corresponding University and the Chairman of the Academic Council and shall, in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at a convocation of the corresponding University and shall confer degrees on persons entitled to receive them.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise control over the affairs of the corresponding University and shall be responsible for the due maintenance of discipline at that University.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor shall convene meetings of the Academic Council unless he temporarily delegates this power to some other officer of the corresponding University.
(4) Without prejudice to the powers conferred by this Act on the appropriate Government, theVice-Chancellor shall ensure the faithful observance of the provisions of this Act and the Statutes and he shall exercise all such powers as may be necessary in that behalf.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall be responsible for the presentation of the budget and the statement of accounts to the Board.
(6) In any emergency, which, in the opinion of the Vice-Chancellor, requires immediate action to be taken, he shall take such action as he deems necessary and shall, at the earliest opportunity, report the action taken to the officer, authority or other body for confirmation who or which in the ordinary course would have dealt with the matter, but nothing in this sub-section shall be deemed to empower theVice-Chancellor to incur any expenditure not duly authorised and provided for in the budget.
(7) Where any action by the Vice-Chancellor under sub-section (6) affects any person in the service of the corresponding University to his disadvantage, such action shall not be taken unless the person concerned has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard, and the person against whom any action is proposed to be taken may prefer an appeal to the Board within thirty days of the date on which the action proposed to be taken against him is communicated to him.
(8) Subject as aforesaid, the Vice-Chancellor shall give effect to the orders of the Board regarding the appointment, suspension and dismissal of officers, teachers and other employees of the corresponding University.
(9) The Vice-Chancellor shall be responsible for the close co-ordination and integration of teaching, research and extension education.
(10) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers as may be prescribed.
(11) The salary and allowances payable to the officers, teachers and other employees of the corresponding University shall be determined by the Vice-Chancellor with the approval of the Board.