15. The Vice-Chancellor.
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be a whole-time officer of the corresponding University and shall be appointed by the Board in the prescribed manner:
Provided that where the members of the Board are not unanimous with regard to the selection of the person proposed to be appointed as the Vice-Chancellor, the appointment shall be made by the Chancellor of the concerned corresponding University:
Provided further that the first Vice-Chancellor of the Haryana Agricultural University shall be appointed by the Government of the State of Haryana:
Provided also that the person holding office immediately before the commencement of this Act as the Vice-Chancellor of the existing University shall be deemed to be the first Vice-Chancellor of the Punjab Agricultural University and shall hold such office for the unexpired portion of his term of office as the Vice-Chancellor of the existing University.
(2) The term of office of the Vice-Chancellor shall be four years and he shall be eligible forre-appointment.
(3) The emoluments and other condition; of service of the Vice-Chancellor shall be such as may be prescribed and shall not be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment.
(4) When a vacancy occurs, or is likely to occur, in the office of the Vice-Chancellor by reason of leave taken by the Holder of such office or any cause other than the expiry of the term of office, the Registrar shall report the fact forthwith to the Board, and such vacancy shall be filled in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1).
(5) Until the vacancy is filled under sub-section (4) or until such time as the Board designates an acting Vice-Chancellor, the senior-most Dean, in the case of the Haryana Agricultural University, or the Registrar, in the case of the Punjab Agricultural University, as the case may be, shall carry on the current duties of the office of the Vice-Chancellor.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor may relinquish office by resignation in writing addressed to the Board and ordinarily delivered to the Secretary of the Board at least two months prior to the date on which theVice-Chancellor wishes to be relieved.