7. Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons.
(1) After the publication of the names of members of the Committee under section 5, the Central Government shall convene within forty-five days of such publication the first meeting of the Committee at which the Committee shall elect a Chairperson and two Vice-Chairpersons from amongst its members :
Provided that a Minister shall not be the Chairperson of the Committee and ex officio members shall not take part in the election of the Chairperson or of the Vice-Chairpersons.
(2) If the Committee fails to elect the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons the Central Government may appoint a member of the Committee to be the Chairperson thereof or Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be prescribed.
(4) The Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee:
Provided that till such bye-laws are made, the Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by an order made by the Chairperson in this regard.
(5) The election of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons shall be notified by the Central Government in the Official Gazette.
(6) The term of office of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, shall be co-terminus with the term of the Committee and no person shall hold office of the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, for more than two consecutive terms.
(7) Any casual vacancy in the office of the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson shall be filled for the remainder of the term in accordance with sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), as the case may be.