43C. Special provisions for delimitation of parliamentary constituencies in Arunachal Pradesh and constituencies of Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly.-
(1) The provisions of sections 39 to 43 (both inclusive) shall not apply to the delimitation of parliamentary constituencies in the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh or to the delimitation of constituencies for the purpose of elections to the Legislative Assembly of that Union territory.
(2) The Election Commission shall divide the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh into two single-member parliamentary constituencies on the basis of the latest census figures.
(3) The Election Commission shall also, in the manner herein provided, distribute the seats assigned to the Legislative Assembly of the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh under sub-section (2) of section 3 to single-member assembly constituencies and delimit them on the basis of the latest census figures having regard to the following provisions:-
(a) all constituencies shall, as far as practicable, be geographically compact areas;
(b) every assembly constituency shall be so delimited as to fall only within one parliamentary constituency;
(c) in delimiting the constituencies, regard shall be had to physical features, existing boundaries of administrative units facilities of communication and public convenience.
(4) For the purpose of assisting in the performance of its functions under sub-sections (2) and (3), the Election Commission shall associate with itself as associate members-
(a) the member of the House of the People representing the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh;
(b) such five members of the Legislative Assembly of the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh as the Speaker of that Assembly shall, having regard to the composition of the Legislative Assembly, nominate:
Provided that none of the associate members shall have a right to vote or sign any decision of the Election Commission.
(5) If owing to death or resignation, the office of an associate member falls vacant, it shall be filled, if practicable, in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (4).
(6) The Election Commission shall-
(a) publish its proposals for the delimitation of constituencies together with the dissenting proposals, if any, of any associate member who desires publication thereof in the Official Gazette and in such other manner as the Commission may consider fit, together with a notice inviting objections and suggestions in relation to the proposals and specifying a date on or after which the proposals will be further considered by it;
(b) consider all objections and suggestions which may have been received by it before the date so specified;
(c) after consideration of objections and suggestions which may have been received by it before the date so specified, determine by one or more orders the delimitation of constituencies and cause such order or orders to be published in the Official Gazette; and upon such publication, the order or orders shall have the full force of law and shall not be called in question in any court.
(7) The Election Commission may, from time to time, by notification in the Official Gazette,-
(a) correct any printing mistake in any order made under sub-section (6) or any error arising therein from inadvertent slip or omission;
(b) where the boundaries or name of any territorial division mentioned in any such order or orders are or is altered, make such amendments as appear to it to be necessary or expedient for bringing such order up-to-date.
(8) Every order made under sub-section (6) and every notification issued under sub-section (7) shall be laid as soon as may be after it is made or issued before the House of the People and the Legislative Assembly of the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh.
(9) All things done, and all steps taken, before the commencement of this Act in the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh with a view to delimiting the territorial constituencies of that Union territory for purposes of elections to the Legislative Assembly of that Union territory shall, in so far as they are in conformity with the foregoing provisions of this section, be deemed to have been done or taken under those provisions as if these provisions were in force at the time such things were done or such steps were taken.]
1. Ins. by Act 29 of 1975, s. 8 (w.e.f. 15-8-1975).