19. Functions of acquiring companies.-
(1) Subject to the rules, if any, made by the Central Government in this behalf and to its memorandum and articles of association, it shall be the duty of every acquiring company to carry on general insurance business.
(2) Each acquiring company shall so function under this Act as to secure that general insurance business is developed to the best advantage of the community.
(3) In the discharge of any of its functions, each acquiring company shall act so far as may be on business principles and where any directions have been issued by the 3[Central Government or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority established under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999)], shall be guided by such directions.
(4) For the removal of doubts it is hereby declared that the Corporation and any acquiring company may, subject to the rules, if any, made by the Central Government in this behalf, enter into such contracts of reinsurance or reinsurance treaties as it may think fit for the protection of its interests.