1[4A. Powers of the Commission.-
(1) The Commission shall in the performance of its functions, have all the powers of a civil court under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), while trying a suit in respect of the following matters, namely:-
(a) summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath;
(b) requiring the discovery and production of any document;
(c) receiving evidence on affidavits;
(d) requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any office;
(e) any matter which may be prescribed.
(2) The Commission shall have the power to require any person, subject to any privilege which may be claimed by that person under any law for the time being in force, to furnish information on such points or matters as, in the opinion of the Commission, may be useful for, or relevant to, any matter under the consideration of the Commission and any person so required shall be deemed to be legally bound to furnish such information within the meaning of section 176 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
(3) The Commission shall be deemed to be a Civil Court and when any offence described in section 175, section 178, section 179, section 180 or section 228 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) is committed in the view or presence of the Commission, the Commission may, after recording the facts constituting the offence and the statement of the accused as provided for in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (5 of 1898), forward the case to a magistrate having jurisdiction to try the same and the magistrate to whom any such case is forwarded shall proceed to hear the complaint against the accused as if the case has been forwarded to him under section 482 of the said Code.
(4) Any proceeding before the Commission shall be deemed to be a judicial proceeding within the meaning of sections 193 and 228 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).
Explanation.-For the purposes of enforcing attendance of witnesses, the local limits of the Commission's jurisdiction shall be the limits of the territory of India.]
1. Ins. by Act 62 of 1960, s. 6 (w.e.f. 28-12-1960).