The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006
17. Proceedings of Food Authority. -
1. The Food Authority shall meet at the head office or any of its offices at such time as the Chairperson may direct, and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at its meetings) as may be specified by regulations.
2. If the Chairperson is unable to attend a meeting of the Food Authority, any other Member nominated by the Chairperson in this behalf and, in the absence of such nomination or where there is no Chairperson, any Member chosen by the Members present from amongst themselves, shall preside at the meeting.
3. All questions which come up before any meeting of the Food Authority shall be decided by a majority of votes of the Members present and voting, and in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairperson or the person presiding over the meeting shall have the right to exercise a second or casting vote.
4. All orders and decisions of the Food Authority shall be authenticated by the Chief Executive Officer.
5. The Chief Executive Officer shall take part in the meetings of the Food Authority but without a right to vote.
6. The Food Authority may invite the Chairperson of the Scientific Committee to attend its meetings but without a right to vote.
7. No act or proceedings of the Food Authority shall be questioned or invalidated merely on the ground of existence of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Food Authority.