The Export (Quality Control and Inspection) Act, 1963
6. Powers of the Central Government in regard to quality control and inspection.
If the Central Government, after consulting the Council, is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient so to do for the development of the export trade of India, it may, by order published in the Official Gazette,--
- notify commodities which shall be subject to quality control or inspection or both prior to export;
- specify the type of quality control or inspection which will be applied to a notified commodity;
- establish, adopt or recognise one or more standard specifications for a notified commodity;
- prohibit the export in the course of international trade of a notified commodity unless it is accompanied by a certificate issued under section 7 that the commodity satisfies the conditions relating to quality control or inspection, or it has affixed or applied to it a mark or seal recognised by the Central Government as indicating that it conforms to the standard specifications applicable to it under clause (c).