Explosives Act, 1884
|1||Changes in Designation and Administrative Ministry|
|3||Chronology of the establishment set up|
|4||Re-Orientation of Activities|
|First Annual Report|
The Indian Explosives Act was promulgated and came into force on 26.02.1884.After series of explosions in the magazines storing blasting gelatines, which rocked and ravaged many parts of the area, more serious being at Nari Gorge and Kach in 1888 and Antop Hill, Bombay India. Then the Government decided to appoint the Superintendent of Government Gun powder factory at Ishapur ( West Bengal ) and Kirkee as Chief Inspector of Explosives for their respective areas on recommendation of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Explosives, U.K. When the aforementioned arrangement was found not satisfactory, the Government finally decided to appoint the first “CHIEF INSPECTOR OF EXPLOSIVES” as an independent authority and Maj. C. A. Muspratt Williams took over charge as the Chief Inspector of Explosives on 9th September 1898 . Initially the Chief Inspector of Explosives was being assisted by the Superintendent and the Asstt. Superintendents of the Ordinance Factories at Ishapur and Kirkee.
After that, Honorary Capt. J.Barlett of Indian Ordinance Department was appointed as Inspector of Explosives to assist the Chief Inspector of Explosives. All works relating to explosives was initially entrusted to those two officers comprising the Department of Explosives. Subsequently there were expansions in the number of offices and officers and also in the activities.
The first Indian Chief Controller of Explosives was Shri A. K. Sen in the year 1945
The first Annual Report of the Department of Explosives was published in the year 1900. You can have a look to that first Annual Report.