4. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor.-
(1) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Executive Council on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor: Provided that where the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor is not accepted by the Executive Council, the matter shall be referred to the Visitor who may either appoint the person recommended by the Vice-Chancellor or ask the Vice-Chancellor to recommend another person to the Executive Council: Provided further that the Executive Council may, on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor, appoint a Professor to discharge the duties of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor in addition to his own duties as a Professor.
(2) The term of office of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be such as may be decided by the Executive Council but it shall not in any case exceed five years or until the expiration of the term of office of the Vice-Chancellor, whichever is earlier: Provided that a Pro-Vice-Chancellor whose term of office has expired shall be eligible for re-appointment: Provided further that, in any case, a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall retire on attaining the age of sixty-five years: Provided also that a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall, while discharging the duties of the Vice-Chancellor under clause (6) of Statute 2, continue in office notwithstanding the expiration of his term of office as Pro-Vice-Chancellor, until the Vice-Chancellor resumes office or a new Vice-Chancellor assumes office, as the case may be.
(3) The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of a Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be such as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.
(4) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall assist the Vice-Chancellor in respect of such matters as may be specified by the Vice-Chancellor in this behalf, from time to time, and shall also exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be assigned or delegated to him by the Vice-Chancellor.