Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948
69. Liability of owner or occupier of factories, etc. for excessive sickness benefit
(1) Where the Corporation considers that the incidence of sickness among insured persons is excessive by reason of-
(i) in sanitary working conditions in a factory or establishment or the neglect of the owner or occupier of the factory or establishment to observe any health regulations enjoined on him or under any enactment; or
(ii) in sanitary conditions of any tenements or lodgings occupied by insured persons and such in sanitary conditions are attributable to the neglect of the owner of the tenements or lodgings to observe any health regulations enjoined on him by or under any enactment, the Corporation may send to the owner or occupier of the factory or establishment or to the owner of the tenements or lodgings, as the case may be, a claim for the payment of the amount of the extra expenditure incurred by the Corporation as sickness benefit; and if the claim is not settled by agreement, the Corporation may refer the matter with a statement in support of its claim, to the appropriate government.
(2) If the appropriate government is of opinion that a prima facie case for inquiry is disclosed, it may appoint a competent person or persons to hold an inquiry into the matter.
(3) If upon such inquiry it is proved to the satisfaction of the person or persons holding the inquiry that the excess in incidence of sickness among the insured persons is due to the default or neglect of the owner or occupier of the factory or establishment or the owner of the tenements or lodgings, as the case may be, the said person or persons shall determine the amount of the extra expenditure incurred as sickness benefit, and the person or persons by whom the whole or any part of such amount shall be paid to the Corporation.
(4) A determination under sub-section (3) may be enforced as if it were a decree for payment of money passed in a suit by a Civil Court.
(5) For the purposes of this section, "owner" of tenements or lodgings shall include any agent of the owner and any person who is entitled to collect the rent of the tenements or lodgings as a lessee of the owner.