Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1998
18. Constitution of Selection Committee by State Government
(1) The State Government shall, for the purposes of selecting the Members of the State Electricity Commission, constitute a Selection Committee consisting of-
(a) a person who has been a Judge of the High Court- Chairperson;
(b) the Chief Secretary of the concerned State- Member;
(c) the Chairperson or a Member of the Central Electricity Authority- Member:
Provided that nothing contained in this clause shall apply to the appointment of a person as the Chairperson who is or has been a Judge of the High Court.
(2) No appointment of a Member shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in the Selection Committee.
(3) The State Government shall, within one month from the date of occurrence of any vacancy by reason of death, resignation or removal and six months before the superannuation or end of tenure of any Chairperson or a Member, make a reference to the Selection Committee for filling up of the vacancy.
(4) The Selection Committee shall finalize the selection of the Member, within one month from the date on which the reference is made to it.
(5) The Selection Committee shall recommend a panel of two names for every vacancy referred to it.
(6) Before recommending any person for appointment as a Member, the Selection Committee shall satisfy itself that such person does not have any financial or other interest which is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as a Member.