Electricity Act, 2003
77. Qualifications for appointment of Members of Central Commission.-
1. The Chairperson and the Members of the Central Commission shall be persons having adequate knowledge of, or experience in, or shown capacity in, dealing with, problems relating to engineering, law, economics, commerce, finance or management and shall be appointed in the following manner, namely:--
a. one person having qualifications and experience in the field of engineering with specialisation in generation, transmission or distribution of electricity;
b. one person having qualifications and experience in the field of finance;
c. two persons having qualifications and experience in the field of economics, commerce, law or management:
Provided that not more than one Member shall be appointed under the same category under clause (c).
2. Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Central Government may appoint any person as the Chairperson from amongst persons who is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court or the Chief Justice of a High Court:
Provided that no appointment under this sub-section shall be made except after consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
3. The Chairperson or any other Member of the Central Commission shall not hold any other office.
4. The Chairperson shall be the Chief Executive of the Central Commission.