Electricity Act, 2003
70. Constitution, etc., of Central Electricity Authority.-
1. There shall be a body to be called the Central Electricity Authority to exercise such functions and perform such duties as are assigned to it under this Act.
2. The Central Electricity Authority, established under section 3 of the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948 (54 of 1948) and functioning as such immediately before the appointed date, shall be the Central Electricity Authority for the purposes of this Act and the Chairperson, Members, Secretary and other officers and employees thereof shall be deemed to have been appointed under this Act and they shall continue to hold office on the same terms and conditions on which they were appointed under the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948.
3. The Authority shall consist of not more than fourteen Members (including its Chairperson) of whom not more than eight shall be full-time Members to be appointed by the Central Government.
4. The Central Government may appoint any person, eligible to be appointed as Member of the Authority, as the Chairperson of the Authority, or, designate one of the full time Members as Chairperson of the Authority.
5. The Members of the Authority shall be appointed from amongst persons of ability, integrity and standing who have knowledge of, and adequate experience and capacity in, dealing with problems relating to engineering, finance, commerce, economics or industrial matters, and at least one Member shall be appointed from each of the following categories, namely:-
a. engineering with specialisation in design, construction, operation and maintenance of generating stations;
b. engineering with specialisation in transmission and supply of electricity;
c. applied research in the field of electricity;
d. applied economics, accounting, commerce or finance.
6. The Chairperson and all the Members of the Authority shall hold office during the pleasure of the Central Government.
7. The Chairperson shall be the Chief Executive of the Authority.
8. The headquarters of the Authority shall be at Delhi.
9. The Authority shall meet at the head office or any other place at such time as the Chairperson may direct, and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at its meetings) as it may specify.
10. The Chairperson, or if he is unable to attend a meeting of the Authority, any other Member nominated by the Chairperson in this behalf and in the absence of such nomination or where there is no Chairperson, any Member chosen by the Members present from among themselves shall preside at the meeting.
11. All questions which come up before any meeting of the Authority shall be decided by a majority of votes of the Members present and voting, and in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairperson or the person presiding shall have the right to exercise a second or casting vote.
12. All orders and decisions of the Authority shall be authenticated by the Secretary or any other officer of the Authority duly authorised by the Chairperson in this behalf.
13. No act or proceeding of the Authority shall be questioned or shall be invalidated merely on the ground of existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in, the constitution of, the Authority.
14. The Chairperson of the Authority and other full-time Members shall receive such salary and allowances as may be determined by the Central Government and other Members shall receive such allowances and fees for attending the meetings of the Authority, as the Central Government may prescribe.
15. The other terms and conditions of service of the Chairperson and Members of the Authority including, subject to the provisions of sub-section (6), their terms of office shall be such as the Central Government may prescribe.