Electricity Act, 2003
3. National Electricity Policy and Plan.-
1. The Central Government shall, from time-to-time, prepare the National Electricity Policy and tariff policy, in consultation with the State Governments and the Authority for development of the power system based on optimal utilisation of resources such as coal, natural gas, unclear substances or materials, hydro and renewable sources of energy.
2. The Central Government shall publish the National Electricity Policy and tariff policy from time-to-time.
3. The Central Government may, from time-to-time, in consultation with the State Governments and the Authority, review or revise the National Electricity Policy and tariff policy referred to in sub-section (1).
4. The Authority shall prepare a National Electricity Plan in accordance with the National Electricity Policy and notify such plan once in five years:
Provided that the Authority while preparing the National Electricity Plan shall publish the draft National Electricity Plan and invite suggestions and objections thereon from licensees, generating companies and the public within such time as may be prescribed:
Provided Further That the Authority shall--
a. notify the plan after obtaining the approval of the Central Government;
b. revise the plan incorporating therein the directions, if any, given by the Central Government while granting approval under clause (a).
5. The Authority may review or revise the National Electricity Plan in accordance with the National Electricity Policy.