Electricity Act, 2003
20. Sale of utilities of licensees.-
1. Where the Appropriate Commission revokes under section 19 the licence of any licensee, the following provisions shall apply, namely:--
a. the Appropriate Commission shall invite applications for acquiring the utility of the licensee whose licence has been revoked and determine which of such applications should be accepted, primarily on the basis of the highest and best price offered for the utility;
b. the Appropriate Commission may, by notice in writing, require the licensee to sell his utility and thereupon the licensee shall sell his utility to the person (hereafter in this section referred to as the "purchaser") whose application has been accepted by that Commission;
c. all the rights, duties, obligations and liabilities of the licensee, on and from the date of revocation of licence or on and from the date, if earlier, on which the utility of the licensee is sold to a purchaser, shall absolutely cease except for any liabilities which have accrued prior to that date;
d. the Appropriate Commission may make such interim arrangements in regard to the operation of the utility as may be considered appropriate including the appointment of Administrators;
e. the Administrator appointed under clause (d) shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as the Appropriate Commission may direct.
2. Where a utility is sold under sub-section (1), the purchaser shall pay to the licensee the purchase price of the utility in such manner as may be agreed upon.
3. Where the Appropriate Commission issues any notice under sub-section (1) requiring the licensee to sell the utility, it may, by such notice, require the licensee to deliver the utility, and thereupon the licensee shall deliver on a date specified in the notice, the utility to the designated purchaser on payment of the purchase price thereof.
4. Where the licensee has delivered the utility referred to in sub-section (3) to the purchaser but its sale has not been completed by the date fixed in the notice issued under that sub-section, the Appropriate Commission may, if it deems fit, permit the intending purchaser to operate and maintain the utility system pending the completion of the sale.