Electricity Act, 2003
17. Licensee not to do certain things.-
1. No licensee shall, without prior approval of the Appropriate Commission,--
a. undertake any transaction to acquire by purchase or takeover or otherwise, the utility of any other licensee; or
b. merge his utility with the utility of any other licensee:
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall apply if the utility of the licensee is situate in a State other than the State in which the utility referred to in clause (a) or clause (b) is situate.
2. Every licensee shall, before obtaining the approval under sub-section (1), give not less than one month's notice to every other licensee who transmits or distributes electricity in the area of such licensee who applies for such approval.
3. No licensee shall at any time assign his licence or transfer his utility, or any part thereof, by sale, lease, exchange or otherwise without the prior approval of the Appropriate Commission.
4. Any agreement relating to any transaction specified in sub-section (1) or subsection (3), unless made with, the prior approval of the Appropriate Commission, shall be void.