Electricity Act, 2003
113. Qualifications for appointment of Chairperson and Member of Appellate Tribunal.-
1. A person shall not be qualified for appointment as the Chairperson of the Appellate Tribunal or a Member of the Appellate Tribunal unless he--
a. in the case of the Chairperson of the Appellate Tribunal, is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court or the Chief Justice of a High Court; and
b. in the case of a Member of the Appellate Tribunal,--
i. is, or has been, or is qualified to be, a Judge of a High Court; or
ii. is, or has been, a Secretary for at least one year in the Ministry or Department of the Central Government dealing with economic affairs or matters or infrastructure; or
iii. is, or has been, a person of ability and standing, having adequate knowledge or experience in dealing with the matters relating to electricity generation, transmission and distribution and regulation or economics, commerce, law or management.
2. The Chairperson of the Appellate Tribunal shall be appointed by the Central Government after consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
3. The Members of the Appellate Tribunal shall be appointed by the Central Government on the recommendation of the Selection Committee referred to in section 78.
4. Before appointing any person for appointment as Chairperson or other Member of the Appellate Tribunal, the Central Government shall satisfy itself that such person does not have any financial or other interest which is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as such Chairperson or Member.