8. (1) The Registrar shall be appointed by the Board on the recommendations of a duly constituted Selection Committee under Statute 18 and he shall be a whole-time salaried officer of the University.
(2) The Registrar shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for performance of his duties.
(3) The Registrar shall be appointed for a term of five years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(4) He may also be appointed on deputation for a specified period not exceeding five years.
(5) The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of the Registrar shall be such as may be prescribed by the Ordinances: Provided that the Registrar shall retire on attaining the age of sixty years.
(6) In case of a person appointed on deputation, his tenure, emoluments and other terms of service shall be according to the terms of deputation.
(7) When the office of the Registrar is vacant or when the Registrar is, by reason of illness, absence, or any other cause, unable to perform the duties of his office, the duties of the office shall be performed by such person as the Vice-Chancellor may appoint for the purpose.
(8) (a) The Registrar shall have the power to take disciplinary action against such of the employees excluding teachers, as may be specified in the order of the Board and to suspend them pending inquiry, to administer warnings to them or to impose on them the penalty of censure or the withholding of increment: Provided that no such penalty shall be imposed unless the person concerned has been given a reasonable opportunity of showing cause against the action proposed to be taken in regard to him.
(b) An appeal shall lie to the Vice-Chancellor against any order of the Registrar imposing any of the penalties specified in sub-clause (a).
(c) In a case where the inquiry discloses that a punishment beyond the power of the Registrar is called for, the Registrar shall, upon conclusion of inquiry, make a report to the Vice-Chancellor along with his recommendations: Provided that an appeal shall lie to the Board against an order of the Vice-Chancellor imposing any penalty.
(9) The Registrar shall be the ex officio Secretary of the Board and the Academic Council, but shall not be deemed to be a member of any of these authorities.
(10) It shall be the duty of the Registrar-
(a) to be the custodian of the records, the common seal and such other property of the University as the Board shall commit to his charge;
(b) to issue all notice convening meeting of the Board, the Academic Council and of any Committee appointed by those authorities;
(c) to keep the minutes of all the meetings of the Board, the Academic Council and of any committees appointed by those authorities;
(d) to conduct the official correspondence of the Board and the Academic Council;
(e) to arrange for the examinations of the University in accordance with the manner prescribed by the Ordinances or notifications;
(f) to supply to the Visitor, copies of the agenda of the meetings of the authorities of the University as soon as they are issued and the minutes of such meetings;
(g) to represent the University in suits or proceedings by or against the University, sign powers of attorney and verify pleadings or depute his representatives for the purpose; and
(h) to perform such other duties as may be specified in the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations or as may be required, from time to time, by the Board or the Vice-Chancellor.