Disaster Management Act, 2005
Chapter III: State Disaster Management Authorities
14. Establishment of State Disaster Management Authority.-
1. Every State Government shall, as soon as may be after the issue of the notification under sub-section (1) of section 3, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a State Disaster Management Authority for the State with such name as may be specified in the notification of the State Government.
2. A State Authority shall consist of the Chairperson and such number of other members, not exceeding nine, as may be prescribed by the State Government and, unless the rules otherwise provide, the State Authority shall consist of the following members, namely:-
a. the Chief Minister of the State, who shall be Chairperson, ex officio;
b. other members, not exceeding eight, to be nominated by the Chairperson of the State Authority;
c. the Chairperson of the State Executive Committee, ex officio.
3. The Chairperson of the State Authority may designate one of the members nominated under clause (b) of sub-section (2) to be the Vice-Chairperson of the State Authority.
4. The Chairperson of the State Executive Committee shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the State Authority, ex officio:
Provided that in the case of a Union territory having Legislative Assembly, except the Union territory of Delhi, the Chief Minister shall be the Chairperson of the Authority established under this section and in case of other Union territories, the Lieutenant Governor or the Administrator shall be the Chairperson of that Authority:
Provided further that the Lieutenant Governor of the Union territory of Delhi shall be the Chairperson and the Chief Minister thereof shall be the Vice-Chairperson of the State Authority.
5. The term of office and conditions of service of members of the State Authority shall be such as may be prescribed.