30. Entry of assignment and transmissions in registers.-
(1) Where a person becomes entitled by assignments, transmission or other operation of law to the copyright in a registered design, he may make application in the prescribed form to the Controller to register his title, and the Controller shall, on receipt of such application and on proof of title to his satisfaction, register him as the proprietor of such design, and shall cause an entry to be made in the prescribed manner in the register of the assignment, transmission or other instrument affecting the title.
(2) Where any person becomes entitled as mortgagee, licensee or otherwise to any interest in a registered design, he may make an application in the prescribed form to the Controller to register his title, and the Controller shall, on receipt of such application and on proof of title to his satisfaction, cause notice of the interest to be entered in the prescribed manner in the register of designs, with particulars of the instrument, if any, creating such interest.
(3) For the purposes of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), an assignment of a design or of a share in a design, a mortgage, licence or the creation of any other interest in a design shall not be valid unless the same were in writing and the agreement between the parties concerned is reduced to the form of an instrument embodying all the terms and conditions governing their rights and obligation and the application for registration of title under such instrument is filed in the prescribed manner with the Controller within six months from the execution of the instrument or within such further period not exceeding six months in the aggregate as the Controller on application made in the prescribed manner allows:
Provided that the instrument shall, on entry of its particulars in the register under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), have the effect from the date of its execution.
(4) The person registered as the proprietor of a design shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and to any rights appearing from the register to be vested in any other person, have power absolutely to assign, grant licenses as to, or otherwise deal with, the design and to give effectual receipts for any consideration for any such assignment, licence or dealing:
Provided that any equities in respect of the design may be enforced in like manner as in respect of any other movable property.
(5) Except in the case of an application made under section 31, a document or instrument in respect of which no entry has been made in the register in accordance with the provisions of sub-sections (1) and (2) shall not be admitted in evidence in any court in proof of the title to copyright in a design or to any interest therein, unless the court, for reasons to be recorded in writing, otherwise directs.