6. Term of office and casual vacancies.-
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section an elected or nominated member shall hold office for a term of five years from the date of his election or nomination or until his successor has been duly elected or nominated, whichever is longer:
4[Provided that a member nominated under clause (e) or clause (f) section 3, shall hold office during the pleasure of the authority nominating him.]
(2) An elected or nominated member may at any time resign his membership by writing under his hand addressed to the President and the seat of such member shall thereupon become vacant.
(3) An elected or nominated member shall be deemed to have vacated his seat if he is absent without excuse, sufficient in the opinion of the Council, from three consecutive ordinary meetings of the Council or, in the case of a member whose name is required to be included in a 2[State] register, if his name is removed from such register, or if he has been elected under clause (c) of section 3 5[if he ceases to hold his appointment as the 6[Principal, Dean, Director or Vice-Principal] of a dental college, or as 7[the Head Head of the dental wing] of a medical college, or if he has been elected under clause (b) or (d) of section 3, if he ceases to be a member of the Medical Council of India or 8[the Dental or Medical Faculty] of the University, as the case may be.
(4) A casual vacancy in the Council shall be filled by fresh election or nomination, as the case may be, and the person elected or nominated to fill the vacancy shall hold office only for the remainder of the term for which the member whose place he takes was elected or nominated.
(5) Members of the Council shall be eligible for re-election or re-nomination.
(6) No act done by the Council shall be called in question on the ground merely of the existence of any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of, the Council
1. Subs. by the A.O. (No. 3), 1956, for "Part C State".
2. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "Provincial".
3. Ins. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 4.
4. Added by Act 42 of 1972, s. 6 (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
5. Subs. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 5, for "if he ceases to hold his appointment as head of a college".
6. Subs. by Act 42 of 1972, s. 6, for "Principal or Vice-Principal" (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
7. Subs. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 6, for "a Professor of dental surgery" (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
8. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for "the Medical Faculty".