51. Companies not to engage in dentistry.-
(1) Except as hereinafter provided, the profession of dentistry shall not be carried on by a company or other corporate body.
(2) The provisions of sub-section (1) shall not apply to-
(a) a company or other corporate body which carries on no business other than the profession of dentistry or some business ancillary to the profession of dentistry and of which the majority of the directors and all the operating staff are registered dentists;
(b) the carrying on of the profession of dentistry by employers who provide dental treatment for their employees by registered dentists otherwise than for profit;
(c) the carrying on of the profession of dentistry by any hospital or dispensary or institution for the training of dentists or dental hygienists or by any local authority or other body authorised or required by law to provide dental treatment: Provided that any company or other corporate body carrying on the profession of dentistry 1[immediately before the date appointed under sub-section (2) of section 32] may continue so to do until the expiry of three years from such date.
(3) if any person contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1), he shall be punishable with fine which may extend, on first conviction to five hundred rupees, or on any subsequent conviction with imprisonment which may extend to six months or with fine not exceeding one thousand rupees or with both.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "Province".
2. Ins. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 14.
3. Subs. by Act 58 of 1950, s. 3, for "two years" (retrospectively).
4. Subs. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 15, for "the commencement of this Act".
5. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "Provinces".
6. Subs., ibid., for "Provincial".
7. Ins. by Act 42 of 1972, s. 25 (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).