Dental Council of India
3. Constitution and composition of council.-
The Central Government shall, as soon as may be, constitute a Council consisting of the following members, namely:-
(a) one registered dentist possessing a recognised dental qualification elected by the dentists registered in Part A of each 1[State] register;
(b) one member elected from amongst themselves by the members of the Medical Council of India;
5[6[(c) not more than four members elected from among themselves, by-
(a) Principals, Deans, Directors and Vice-Principals of dental colleges in the States training students for recognised dental qualifications: Provided that not more than one member shall be elected from the same dental college;
(b) Heads of dental wings of medical colleges in the States training students for recognised dental qualifications;]
(d) one member from each University established by law in the States which grants a recognised dental qualification, to be elected by the members of the Senate of the University, or in case the University has no Senate, by the members of the court, from amongst the members of the Dental Faculty of the University or in case the University has no Dental Faculty, from amongst the members of the Medical Faculty thereof;
(e) one member to represent 7[each State 8***] nominated by the Government of each such State from among persons registered either in a medical register or a dental register of the State;]
9[Explanation.-In this clause, "State" does not include a Union territory;]
(f) six members nominated by the Central Government, of whom at least one shall be a registered dentist possessing a recognised dental qualification and practising or holding an appointment in an institution for the training of dentists in a 1[Union territory] and at least two shall be dentists registered in Part B of a 2[State] register;
3[(g) the Director General of Health Services, ex officio;]
Provided that pending the preparation of registers the 2[State] Governments may nominate to the first Council members referred to in parts (a) and (e) and the Central Government members referred to in part (f) out of persons who are eligible for registration in the respective registers and such persons shall hold office for such period as the 2[State] or Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "Provincial".
2. Subs. by Act 42 of 1972, s. 3, for clause (j) (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
3. Omitted by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
4. Ins. by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
5. Subs. by Act 12 of 1955, s. 4, for clauses (c), (d) and (e).
6. Subs. by Act 42 of 1972, for clause (c) (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
7. Subs. by the A.O. (No. 3), 1956, for "each Part A State and Part B State other than the State of Jammu and Kashmir".
8. Omitted by Act 42 of 1972, s. 5 (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).
9. Added by s. 5, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-1972).