5. Territorial exercise of powers.-
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the powers of the University conferred by or under this Act 6[(other than those conferred by sub-clause (d) of clause 2 of section 4)] shall not extend 7 [beyond the limits of the 8 [Union territory of Delhi]], and notwithstanding anything in any other law for the time being in force, no educational institution beyond 9[those limits] shall be associated with or admitted to any privileges of the University. 10* * * * *
11[(1A) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Central Government may, if it is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient so to do in the public interest, direct, by order in writing, the University to admit to its privileges any institution situated outside India and the University shall be bound to comply with such direction.]
(2) Notwithstanding anything in any other law for the time being in force 12[but subject to the provisions contained in the Jawaharlal Nehru University Act, 1966 (53 of 1966)], no educational institution within the 1[aforementioned limits] shall be associated in any way with or be admitted to any privileges of any other University incorporated by law in the States, and any such privileges granted by any such other University to any educational institution within 2[those limits] prior to the commencement of this Act shall be deemed to be withdrawn on the commencement of this Act: Provided that the Central Government may, by order3 in writing, direct that the provisions of this sub-section shall not apply in the case of any institution specified in the order. 4[Provided further that provisions of this sub-section shall not apply in the case of any educational institution affiliated to the Indraprastha Vishwavidyalaya incorporated under the Indraprastha Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1998.]
1. Ins. by Act 48 of 1972, s. 2 (w.e.f. 22-6-1972).
2. Ins. by Act 24 of 1943, s. 3.
3. Subs. by Act 5 of 1952, s. 4, for clause (12).
4. Ins. by Act 61 of 1961, s. 2 (w.e.f. 1-2-1962).
5. Clause (12A) renumbered as clause (12C) by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-2-1962).
6. Ins. by s. 3, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-2-1962).
7. Subs. by Act 5 of 1952, s. 5, for "beyond a radius of ten miles from the Convocation Hall of the University".
8. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 3) Order, 1956, for "State of Delhi".
9. Subs. by Act 5 of 1952, s. 5, for "that limit".
10. Proviso omitted by s. 5, ibid.
11. Ins. by Act 27 of 1981, s. 2 (w.e.f. 9-6-1981).
12. Ins. by Act 53 of 1966, s. 27 (w.e.f. 22-4-1969).