1. Short title, extent, commencement and duration.-
(1) This Act may be called the Delhi Tenants (Temporary Protection) Act, 1956.
(2) It extends to the areas in the Union territory of Delhi to which the Rent Control Act extends for the time being: Provided that nothing in this Act shall be deemed to extend to any area declared to be a slum area under any law for the time being in force.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
2[(4) It shall cease to have effect,-
(a) as respects premises other than vacant ground, on the 11th day of February, 1959;
(b) as respects premises which are vacant ground, on the 11th day of February, 1960; except as respects things done or omitted to be done before such cesser of operation of this Act and section 6 of the General Clauses Act, 1897 (10 of 1897), shall apply upon such cesser of operation as if it had then been repealed by a Central Act.]
1. 11th February, 1957, vide notification No. E.V. 15(5)/55-PF, dated 8th February, 1957, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 1.
2. Subs. by Act 59 of 1958, s. 53, for sub-section (4) (w.e.f. 9-2-1959).