16. Provisional registration.
(1) Any person who intends to establish a business in Delhi for the purpose of manufacturing goods of a value exceeding thirty thousand rupees per year, may, notwithstanding that he is not required to be registered under section 14, apply for provisional registration in such manner and to such authority as may be prescribed.
(2) If the said authority, after making such inquiry as it may consider necessary, is satisfied as to thebona fide intention of the person making the application, it may, subject to such restrictions and conditions as it may impose, grant a provisional certificate of registration on such person furnishing such security as it may consider necessary and shall specify in such certificate the goods or class of goods for the purposes of sub-clause (v) of clause (a) of sub-section (2) of section 4.
(3) Every person who has been granted a provisional certificate of registration under this section shall, for so long as such certificate is in force, be liable to pay tax under this Act.
(4) A provisional certificate of registration granted under this section shall be in force for such period as may be specified therein.
(5) The authority prescribed under sub-section (1) may, on application made in this behalf in the prescribed manner and subject to such restrictions and conditions as it may impose, extend, from time to time, the period specified in the provisional certificate of registration.
(6) The provisions of section 18 shall, so far as may be, apply in relation to security required to be furnished under sub-section (2) of this section.
1. Subs. by Act 38 of 1978, s. 3 and the Second Schedule, for "points of sale" (w.e.f. 26-11-1978).
(7) If a person, who has been granted a provisional certificate of registration under this section, fails without sufficient cause to establish a business within the period specified in such certificate or fails to comply with any of the restrictions or conditions subject to which such certificate was granted, he shall be liable to pay a penalty equal to one and a half times the amount of tax which would have been payable had he not been so registered under this section.