Delhi Rent Control Act, 1958
Most of the persons living in urban areas are somehow directly or indirectly affected by the law of rent control which is provincial in nature and it differs from State to State, The law which was applicable to Delhi was Delhi and Ajmer Rent Control Act, 1952 (38 of 1952). During the course of its applicability many difficulties were being faced and it was considered necessary to enact a comprehensive law for Delhi . In order to achieve this objective the Delhi Rent Control Bill was introduced in the Parliament.
Act 59 of 1958
The Delhi Rent Control Bill having been passed by both the Houses of Parliament received the assent of the President on 31st December 1958 . It came into force on 9th February, 1959 as THE DELHI RENT CONTROL ACT, 1958 (59 of 1958).
List of Amending Acts
1. The Repealing and Amending Act, 1960 (58 of 1960).
2. The Delhi Rent Control (Amendment) Act, 1963 (4 of 1963).
3. The Delhi Rent Control (Amendment) Act, 1976 (18 of 1976).
4. The Delhi Rent Control (Amendment) Act, 1984 (37 of 1984).
5. The Delhi Rent Control (Amendment) Act, 1988 (57 of 1988).