15. Receipt to be given for rent paid.-
(1) Every tenant shall pay rent and other charges payable within the time fixed by contract or in the absence of such stipulation, by the fifteenth day of the month next following the month for which it is payable and where any default occurs in the payment of rent or other charges, the tenant shall be liable to pay simple interest at the rate of fifteen per cent. per annum from the date on which such payment of rent and other charges payable is due to the date on which it is paid.
(2) Every tenant who makes payment of rent or other charges payable or advance towards such rent or other charges to his landlord shall be entitled, against acknowledgment, to obtain forthwith from the landlord or his authorised agent a written receipt for the amount paid to him, signed by the landlord or his authorised agent: Provided that it shall be open to the tenant to remit the rent to his landlord by postal money order.
(3) If the landlord or his authorised agent refuses or neglects to deliver to the tenant the receipt referred to in sub-section (2), the Rent Authority may, on an application made to him in this behalf by the tenant within two months from the date of payment and after hearing the landlord or his authorised agent, by order direct the landlord or his authorised agent to pay to the tenant, by way of damages, such sum not exceeding double the amount of rent or other charges paid by the tenant and the costs of the application and shall also grant a certificate to the tenant in respect of the rent or other charges paid.
(4) If the landlord or his authorised agent refuses to accept or evades acceptance of receipt of rent and other charges payable to him, the tenant may, by notice in writing, ask the landlord to supply him the particulars of his bank account in a bank located in the National Capital Territory of Delhi into which the tenant may deposit the rent and other charges payable to the credit of the landlord.
(5) If the landlord supplies the particulars of his bank account, the tenant shall deposit the rent and other charges payable in such bank account from time to time.
(6) If the landlord does not supply the particulars of bank account under sub-section (4), the tenant shall remit the rent and the other charges payable to the landlord from time to time through postal money order after deducting the postal charges.