58. Constitution of Defence Societies.-
(1) For the protection of persons, the security of property and the public safety in any locality the Commissioner of Police may constitute voluntary bodies (hereafter in this section referred to as Defence Societies) in the prescribed manner.
(2) The Commissioner of Police or any officer of a Defence Society may at any time call up officers subordinate to him or any member of a Defence Society for training or to discharge any of the duties under this Act assigned to them.
(3) Every officer or member of a Defence Society shall-
(a) on appointment receive a certificate in such form as may be specified or approved by the Administrator in this behalf; and
(b) when called up for duty have the same powers, privileges and protection as are vested in a police officer appointed under this Act.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in any law for the time being in force, an officer or member of a Defence Society shall not be disqualified for being chosen as, or for being, a member of-
(a) the Delhi Metropolitan Council or the Municipal Corporation of Delhi; or
(b) any other local authority,
by reason of the fact that he is a member or officer of such Society.