17. Special police officers.-
(1) The Commissioner of Police may, at any time, by a written order, signed by himself and sealed with his own seal, appoint any able bodied male person not less than eighteen years of age, whom he considers fit, to be a special police officer to assist the Delhi police on any occasion, when he has reason to apprehend the occurrence of any riot or grave disturbance of the peace in any area and he is of opinion that the ordinary police force is not sufficient for the protection of persons residing, and for the security of property, within such area.
(2) The Commissioner of Police shall publish the names of special police officers appointed under this section in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) Any person objecting to the appointment of any person as such special police officer may send his reasons for such objection to the Commissioner of Police within fifteen days of such appointment and the Commissioner may accept such objection and cancel the appointment of such officer or, after giving to the objector an opportunity to be heard, reject the objection.
(4) Every special police officer appointed under this section shall, on appointment,-
(a) receive a certificate of appointment in such form as may be specified by the Administrator in this behalf;
(b) have the same powers, privileges and immunities and perform the same duties and be subject to the same authorities as an ordinary police officer.