5. Unlawful charges not to be claimed or received.-
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, no person shall claim or receive any rent in excess of the standard rent, notwithstanding any agreement to the contrary.
(2) No person shall, in consideration of the grant, continuance or renewal of a tenancy or sub-tenancy of any premises, claim or receive the payment of any premium, pugree, fine, advance or any other like sum in addition to the rent.
Explanation.-Receipt of rent in advance for a period not exceeding one month shall not be deemed to be an advance within the meaning of this section.
(3) It shall not be lawful for the tenant or any other person acting or purporting to act on behalf of the tenant or a sub-tenant to claim or receive any payment in consideration of the relinquishment of his tenancy or sub-tenancy, as the case may be, of any premises.
(4) Nothing in this section shall apply-
(a) to any payment made in pursuance of an agreement entered into before the 1st day of November, 1939; or
(b) to any payment made under an agreement by any person to a landlord for the purpose of financing the construction of the whole or part of any premises on the land belonging to the landlord, if one of the conditions of the agreement is that the landlord is to let to such person the whole or part of the premises when completed for the use of such person or any member of his family: Provided that such payment does not exceed the amount of agreed rent for a period of five years of the whole or part of the premises to be let to such person.
Explanation.-For the purposes of clause (b) of this sub-section, a "member of the family" means, in the case of an undivided Hindu family, any member of such family and in the case of any other family, the husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister or any other person dependent on him.