Consumer Protection Act, 1986
20. Composition of the National Commission
(1) The National Commission shall consist of -
(a) a person who is or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court, to be appointed by the Central Government, who shall be its President :
Provided that no appointment under this clause shall be made except after consultation with the Chief Justice of India;
(b) four other members who shall be persons of ability, integrity and standing and have adequate knowledge or experience of, or have shown capacity in dealing with, problems relating to economics, law, commerce, accountancy. industry , public affairs or administration, one of whom shall be a woman :
Provided that every appointment made under this clause shall be made by the Central Government on the recommendation of a selection committee consisting of the following, namely : -
(a) a person who is a Judge of the Supreme Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of India - Chairman,
(b) the Secretary in the Department of Legal Affairs in the Government of India - Member,
(c) Secretary of the Department dealing with consumer affairs in the Government of India - Member.
(2) The salary or honorarium and other allowances payable to and the other terms and conditions of service of the members of the National Commission shall be such as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(3) Every member of the National Commission shall hold office for a term of five years or up to the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier and shall not be eligible for re-appointment.
(4) Notwithstanding, anything contained in sub-section (3), a person appointed as a President or as a member before the commencement of the Consumer Protection (Amendment) Act, 1993, shall continue to hold such office as President or member, as the case may be, till the completion of his term.