3. Presumption as to genuineness of documents.-
For the purposes of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 (1 of 1872), and notwithstanding anything contained therein, a Court-
(a) shall presume, within the meaning of that Act, in relation to documents included in Part I of the Schedule, and<
(b) may presume, within the meaning of that Act, in relation to documents included in Part II of the Schedule,-
that any document purporting to be a document included in Part I or Part II of the Schedule, as the case may be, and to have been duly made by or under the appropriate authority, was so made and that the statements contained therein are accurate.
1. This Act has been applied to the Darjeeling district, w.e.f. the 8th February, 1940, by the late Bengal Government notification No. 361-J., dated the 31st January, 1940.
The Act has been extended in its application to: -
(1) the whole of the Union territory of Lakshadweep (w.e.f. 15-10-1970); vide Reg. 2 of 1970, s. 2 and Sch. and
(2) the Union territory of Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, s. 3 and Sch.
2. Subs. by the A.O. (No. 3) 1956, for "Part B States".