Employees State Insurance Corporation
24. Principal Officers and other staff.-
(1) The Central Government may appoint a Director General of the Corporation and a Financial Commissioner, who shall be the Principal Officers of the Corporation.
(2) The Director General and the Financial Commissioner shall hold office for such period, not exceeding five years, as may be specified in the order of appointment:
Provided that outgoing Director General or Financial Commissioner, as the case may be, shall be eligible for re-appointment if he is otherwise qualified.
(3) The Director General or the Financial Commissioner shall receive such salary and allowances as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(4) The Director General and the Financial Commissioner shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be prescribed by the Central Government and shall perform such other functions as may be specified in the regulations.
(5) A person shall be disqualified from being appointed as or for being the Director General of the Corporation or the Financial Commissioner if he is subject to any of the disqualifications specified in section 8.
(6) The Central Government may at any time remove the Director General of the Corporation or the Financial Commissioner from office and shall do so if such removal is recommended by a resolution of the Corporation passed at a special meeting called for the purpose and supported by the votes of not less than two-third of the total strength of the Corporation.
(7) The Corporation may employ such other officers and employees as may be necessary for the efficient transaction of its business and for discharge of any other responsibilities assigned to the Corporation from time to time by the Central Government:
Provided that the sanction of the Central Government shall be obtained for the creation of any post the maximum monthly salary of which exceeds such salary as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(8) (a) The method of recruitment, salary and allowances, discipline and other conditions of service of the officers and employees of the Corporation shall be such as may be specified in the regulations in accordance with the rules and orders applicable to the officers and employees of the Central Government drawing corresponding scales of pay:
Provided that the terms and conditions of service including pay and allowances of such posts of medical specialists and super specialists in the Corporation possessing comparable qualifications and expertise, as may be notified by the Central Government, with the equivalent posts of the specialists and super specialists in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences or in the Post Graduate Institutes of Medical Sciences and Research or other similar institutions established by the Central Government, shall respectively be similar:
Provided further that where the Corporation is of the opinion that it is necessary to make a departure from the said rules or orders in respect of any of the matters aforesaid, it shall obtain the prior approval of the Central Government:
Provided also that this sub-section shall not apply to appointment of consultants and specialists in various fields appointed on contract basis.
(b) In determining the corresponding scales of pay of officers and employees under clause (a), the Corporation shall have regard to the educational qualifications, method of recruitment, duties and responsibilities of such officers and employees under the Central Government and in case of any doubt, the Corporation shall refer the matter to the Central Government whose decision thereon shall be final.
(9) Every appointment to posts (other than medical, nursing or para-medical posts) corresponding to Group 'A' and Group 'B' Gazetted posts under the Central Government shall be made in consultation with the Union Public Service Commission:
Provided that the provisions of this sub-section shall not apply to an officiating or temporary appointment for a period not exceeding one year:
Provided further that any such officiating or temporary appointment shall not confer any claim for regular appointment and the services rendered in that capacity shall not count towards seniority or minimum qualifying service specified in the regulations for promotion to next higher grade.
(10) If any question arises whether a post corresponds to a Group 'A' and Group 'B' posts under the Central Government, the question shall be referred to that Government whose decision thereon shall be final.